August 24, 2008

Saturday at the Arcade

The other day I had one of my wonderful brainstorms. I should wrangle a group of people together and go play video games at an arcade. Apparently such things still exist. The extent of my wrangling was quite small as few people either didn't want to go, or said they would then promptly locked their doors and threw out their telephones so I could not contact them, for perhaps to them going to an arcade is some sort of silly, childish time waster. They could be right. But this particular arcade only charges $3/hour of gaming. I don't care who you are or where you live or what you do, $3 for an hour of entertainment is pretty freaking good.

So, I managed to wrangle Smyrish and one of my bearded friends into coming to the arcade, and let me tell you: It wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible. It had a Wrestlemania arcade where I could play as Razer Ramon and Dionk the Clown. How could it be bad?


It wasn't so much that it was bad, it was just a little boring. Perhaps the previous evenings four hours of video games kind of ruined me for the days events. I think that the proof of this, is in the fact that I had more fun playing ski ball than the Terminator Arcade that I still suck at.


Ah well, like I said, it was only $3 and everything was free. I didn't have to drop quarters into a machine that a) didn't work and b) didn't give me my money back, just as the scenario is usually played out when I go arcading. For some reason I didn't play any Dance Dance Revolution. It's usually the first thing I go to. Perhaps I was just too distracted by all the bright flashing lights. . . wait a tick. All DDR is, is bright flashing lights...hmmmmm...whatever the case may be, the fact is I didn't play it, and it was odd.

They had some Classic games like Metal Slug (which Smyrish is playing above), Ms. Pac Man, and some good old Street Fighter which were pretty kick ass. Even with these, I don't think it was enough to draw me back anytime soon. Maybe next time we'll put a few beer in us and then go. But perhaps being drunk in public surrounded by a bunch of children in the early afternoon isn't the best idea legally speaking.

No comments: