January 07, 2006

Something that grinds my gears

You know what really grinds my gears? Movie adaptations not getting things right. It’s not the fact that they get things wrong; it’s the complaining done afterwards that really gets to me. Yesterday I went to see Rent with my girlfriend. I enjoyed it, as did she. It was her second time around seeing it. She’s a big fan of Rent. When the stage production came to the city (Regina), she went to see it; and when she heard about this movie getting made, it was all she could talk about. Like I said she enjoyed it, but she was picking out things all throughout the movie that were inaccurate to the stage production. Fair enough. If someone is a fan of the original work, and is bothered by inaccuracy in the on-screen version of said work that’s fine by me. What gets me however is when people complain about certain works and their opinions are disregarded and called fanboys. This is where my complaining comes in.

I can complain a lot about comic book movies and inaccuracy, but do I? No! Because they work on screen (well not all of them). But do my opinions count for anything? No, of course they don’t! I get things like: “Oh whatever. The X-Men looked really cool and they looked good on screen, quit acting like such a fanboy”. No, they didn’t. Yes, people running around in blue and yellow spandex does look kind of silly but that’s what the X-Men were about. That’s what gave them the feel that they had. The X-Men on the page were bright and colourful. These X-Men are dark and angry. No wonder the world fears them. They look like the bad guys! In a western, do you ever see the hero wearing a black hat? No, of course not! But then again, what does my opinion matter, I’m just a fanboy posting my grievances on the Internet.

Like I said before I have no problem with people airing their grievances with a film adaptation but you have to listen to all sorts of opinions. I just touched on comics prior to this, but what also pisses me off is the reaction I get when I say that the film adaptation for To Kill a Mockingbird sucked. Ya, that’s right. I said it. That movie blew ass. Yes, it may be considered this great American classic film, but had any of these people read the book. From the sounds of things, no they haven’t. If they did they would have know that starting a movie half way through the book doesn’t quite work right. But when I air my grievances about this so-called treasure I get these looks like “I can’t believe he just said that”. Well believe it paco, ‘cause I did. You know what, I’m gonna say it again: the film adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird sucked big, fat ass!

You see, this is one of the first times that I’ve ever aired my grievances about X-Men, mainly because I figured no one would give that much of a damn and that I would just be a fanboy. “Oh whatever it’s just a comic book”, they’d say. ‘Cause you know it’s apparently not “legitimate” literature. But apparently I have to sit and listen to some jerkoff bitch about how one of their favorite books wasn’t perfect to the fucking T, and if I bring up some kind of argument pertaining to X-Men or Batman, I’m some kind of childish fanboy and my example or opinions don’t count because they’re not from sources considered “legitimate”. Fuck you jerkoff, and fuck your opinions too. Now, I know that not all people are like this and I’m not shitting on those particular people. I have no beef with you guys. You’re cool. I just think that everyone should take a step back before you complain about inaccuracies in film. Think about it first before you bitch or start shitting on directors; yes, I do realize that coming from film school I should be all about ragging on directors, it’s what you do there, but I will point out the fact that I am no longer there and that there is a reason for that (but that’s a rant for another time). Also, keep things to yourself sometimes maybe, because even though you’re pissed about something doesn’t mean everyone else is or even gives a shit.

And that’s what grinds my gears.

Youngblood

No comments: