August 02, 2005

Deep thought...(not Jack Handy style)

Most people have that one friend who you were really close to as a kid, then one of you moved away. Have any of you seen them since? Even just talked to them?

Recently I had the opportunity to see one such old friend. I don’t think I’d seen him for about six years. I’ll give you the rundown on our story:

He lived across the road from my house when we were kids. Now living on the farm there weren’t many kids around, and Chad lived right across the road, so of course we became friends. We met at about the age of 4 or 5 and we became the best of friends…when we were at home that is. When we were at school it was a different story. It’s not that we fought all the time; we just had different friends at school. This went on for quite a few years, until the summer after grade 7. Chad’s dad got a job up in Rainbow Lake, in northern Alberta, quite a long ways from Kamsack, SK. After that I think I saw him twice, until last week.

When I heard Chad was coming I was looking forward to it…most people would be. Honestly, I didn’t know what to expect. Turns out Chad and I became two very different people (surprise, surprise). He’s engaged now; he’s the manager of an industrial supply store; has his own house; a couple of dogs; and his own truck. Oh yeah, did I mention that he’s 20 years old. Myself on the other hand have no girlfriend; am currently living at home for the summer; am hoping to buy a hamster in the fall; and one day want to get paid to talk about movies. Not that I’m saying that I’m embarrassed or ashamed about my life, it’s just that we have very different lives now. I really didn’t talk to Chad all that much this weekend when I saw him, because I honestly didn’t know what to say to him. We’ve both changed and evolved into two totally different people.

With Saskatchewan’s centennial upon us, there are many homecoming celebrations going on all around the province. This coming weekend, my hometown of Kamsack is having its homecoming. After this recent experience with Chad, I’ve just started wondering what people are going to think when they see their high school friends, whom they haven’t seen since high school, or shortly after. Not that I’m saying that everyone will be disappointed with what they see, but as the saying goes, “sometimes people surprise you” (I realize I’m taking it out of context but whatever). Those people who you knew may not be who you remembered them to be, but on the other hand them may be even more that you expected (hey I think that one was in context).

Youngblood

P.S. Even though I have been leaving pretty big gaps between posts, I haven't forgotten about all you readers. I'm currently working on a total revamp of my blogs look. Hope to have it up soon. Thanks for sticking by me faithful readers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chad is a really nice kid and he does not have many friends that are as accomplished as he ishere in Rainbow Lake. Did you see how cute his little sister is now? Crystal is a real looker now.
Anyway sometimes when you move away it gives you a different focus. Staying in the same place sometimes does not give you the same oppertunities