August 25, 2005

Summer learning experience

Now that I’m done work for the summer, I can reflect on what I learnt and what kind of experience I’ve gained over the past few months working for the Town of Kamsack.

  • If you have to be picking rocks don’t use a garbage bag even though you know it’s going to break but think you’ll work fast enough that you’ll be able to use it. Oh yeah, another thing…if you’re going to fill you’re pockets with them don’t overfill them…your pants tend to fall down…trust me
  • If you step on the first step of a staircase and it breaks, the next few might not, but chances are it might break a few higher up…watch your step
  • It is possible to get a half-ton truck, carrying 300 gallons of water, off the ground and not wreck the truck. All you have to do is find the right incline and hit it at the right speed
  • No matter how absurd the task your boss gives you (watering plants in the rain, picking litter at the dump), just do the job and while you’re doing it make fun of it and tell the story of how dumb your job is…it makes the time fly and the pain of doing such foolish work go away
  • It always stops raining after you’ve driven as fast as you can on a lawn mower to get out of the rain
  • If your running to your truck to get out of the rain, and you have your headphones on and can’t hear anything else, make sure a poodle isn’t chasing you…because even though you know you’re not running from it, other people don’t and you look dumb

So those are some of the things I learnt this summer. What can I say, it feels like I’ve been in a cartoon. I’m still waiting for a flower pot to fall on my head and for my van to crumble so much that all I’m left with is my steering wheel as I skid down the highway on my seat.

Youngblood

No comments: