April 30, 2005

Youngblood at the Movies

Well I'm back at the movies after a little hiatus, and today's entry is the latest film by Kevin Smith, Jersey Girl.

I can honestly say that I think that this was an absolutely fantastic movie, and I don't understand why it gets shit on so much. Yeah it's different than all his other movies, but just because it has Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez(for about 20 minutes) doesn't make it a bad movie. I think it proves that Kevin Smith doesn't need to have Jay and Silent Bob to make a good movie.

It is full of View Askew alumni like Jason Lee, Matt Damon, and George Carlin(actually I think they're the only ones). This movie, from a technical standpoint, is probably one of Smith's more visually appealing works as well (there's actually some camera movement in this one). It is full of all the vulgar language that fans expect of Mr. Smith's films, so no one can say that he's gone soft or anything.

This movie proves that the man can do serious writing and he isn't just all about the dick and fart jokes (yes Chasing Amy did have plenty of dick and fart jokes so don't say that that was his most serious). As much as everyone always says that Chasing Amy as his most personal film, this one beats it by a longshot. He started writing it one night after watching his wife put their daughter to bed and wondered, "What would my life be like if she died during childbirth?" The next morning the first 50 pages of the first draft were done. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

So for being quite a touching film, as well as (as far as I'm concerned) one of his best films, I give Kevin Smith's
Jersey Girl ²²²1/2 out of 5

Youngblood

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey mr. youngblood, i hope you will be posting again over the summer!