February 07, 2005

The Hierarchy of Puppet Land

So here we are, back inside my crazy, messed up head. Sorry you had to pay admission, but my thoughts don’t come cheap you know.

There’s always been something that’s bothered me about sock puppets. It seems to me that in the puppet world the sock puppet would be on the bottom rung of society, even lower than the ventriloquist dummy. Now that just isn’t right. Look at them, they’ve got the word “dum” in their name (I am aware that it’s actually spelled dumb, just go with it). Sure, it takes a lot more time to put together a ventriloquist dummy than a sock puppet, but still…DUM! Does no one see the logic!

I think if there was some sort of hierarchy in the puppet world I think it would go:

1. Muppets
2. Marionettes
3. Ventriloquist dummies
4. Sock puppets

Now I’m sure there are more than just four types of puppets but I think they all can fit into these basic categories. So with that I come back to my original query, why is the sock puppet at the bottom of the barrel? It serves a purpose just as much as all the others do, doesn’t it (accept Muppets, because lets not forget what Yoda truly is)?

So here I am asking all of you to help out the sock puppets. Sure they’re not very technically advanced, as a matter of fact their really quite primitive. But they deserve a chance to prove themselves. It’s not their fault that the Muppets and Marionettes are designed better than them. That’s like ragging on a kid that has to wear a helmet, it’s not his/her fault they have to wear it, they just do!

So the next time you see a sock puppet sitting in the gutter begging for change because some dummy stole his act, give it a buck, or better yet take it home with you and try to help it out. Help it get back on its feet; throw it in the wash; introduce it to your other socks; and help it promote a new act. This whole endeavor is completely risk free for you, because if you get tired of it or it starts pissing you off, you can make it “mysteriously disappear” like so many other socks have done in the past. And if that doesn’t work, just throw it back in the gutter. What’s it going to do? It’s just a sock.

Youngblood

1 comment:

Huckleberry Finnegan said...

You forgot Latin American dictators. I'd put them somewhere between marionettes and ventriloquist's dummys.