February 28, 2005

An Ideal Waste of Time

So last night was Oscar night...woopie fucking ding! I was happy that Clint got Best Director. I haven't seen Million Dolllar Baby yet, but for some reason I just didn't want Scorsese to win. We all knew that Jamie Foxx was going to get the Best Actor award. As much as I wanted Johnny Depp to win, it was inevitable that Jamie Foxx would get it. I have hope for the future though. If Jeff Spicoli could finally get his Oscar then one day Edward Scissorhands will too.

I'm waiting for the day when a comic book movie gets nominated for an Oscar, for something other than sound or visual effects. Or maybe a sci-fi movie. I think it's about time that more these films get more than MTV Movie awards. Like, sure The Lord of the Rings is a fantasy movie, but it still doesn't count. It was obvious that it was going to rack up the awards once the trilogy was done. But I want Tobey Maguire to give a stellar performance in Spiderman 3. I want him to do something the academy can't ignore. Then they will ignore it and I'll have even more to bitch about. See, I have some long time plans for this whole thing.

They should give Sam Raimi a Best Director nomination. C'mon, the guy's doing great work. As far as I'm concerned it's just as good as Peter Jackson did. And you can't say that Jackson's better because he planned on doing all three movies and devoted his life to them, because Raimi knew he was going to do three movies from the start and it'll take him just as long to do all of them as it took for The Lord of the Rings to be made.(from pre-production of 1 to the release of 3)

But sadly Tobey and Sam won't get the recignition that they deserve. I think it'll be a while until any film such as Spiderman or one that's just plain entertaining even gets a nomination for something other than special effects. And I realize everyone already knows this already...but lets face the facts, it doesn't hurt to repeatedly bitch about things....and i had nothing better to talk about today.

Youngblood

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Johnny Depp will get his award someday, but it's really too bad he didn't receive one before he became a mainstream pirate.