February 10, 2005

What If?...

At one time there was a comic book published by Marvel Comics called What If?. I say “at one time” because as far as I know it was cancelled a long time ago. It was a gateway into an alternate “comic” universe. One example is: What if…Wolverine met Tarzan. That was an actual issue, sounds pretty dumb doesn’t it. Then again Detective Comics wasn’t much better (i.e. Superman v.s. He-Man). So were these comics of any use at all? Yes and no.

No they weren’t in the sense that none of these issues played any part in any actual storyline in Marvel Comics history. They seemed to exist out of that universe. A lot of people saw them as useless. Some saw it as just an excuse to use the character of The Watcher. Others were a combination of the two.

Then you have the people that did like them, and liked them a lot. These people are what I like to call Fanboys. The way I see it, the people who really liked them, and I mean really liked them (not just picked up an issue every once in awhile) are the same kind of people you find posting on internet message boards trying to guess who the next villain will be in Spiderman 3. This book was their dream come true or their worst nightmare. This is because they always are trying to say what should have happened, and guess what would have happened if…yadda, yadda, yadda. These books could prove or disprove their theories and make them the kings or queens of their respective nerd groups. (now I’m not nerd bashing, I am a nerd, but come on have you ever read any of those internet message boards? Come on man!)

So that’s it. Now, as far as I see it, that comic sucked, it was useless. But hey what do I know, nothing, because according to all those message boards, I'm way off on who the next Spiderman villain is.

Youngblood

No comments: