February 01, 2005

Prequels, sequels and other and other crap that Hollywood wants you to think is good

I don't know about you but I'm getting pretty dam sick of all these prequels being put out and planned. Why do these studios feel the need to give us all these extra little stories that don't matter? There's one big fat reason why and I'll get to that, but first take for example the cash cow that is Star Wars.

I loved these movies(the original trilogy that is) and George Lucas destroyed the whole thing for me. Granted, I still do watch the originals every once in a while, but one day those tapes will wear out and I'll have to by them on DVD, and Lucas added and changed too much shit on those DVD's that I refuse to watch them....Sorry I got kind of carried away there....Anyway, what was I talking about?...Oh ya the Star Wars prequels. They suck! Did we really need to know where Darth Vader came from! Maybe instead of prequels make more sequels that explain his past, while still continuing the saga, then go back and make the bloody sequels. No, George Lucas can't do that. That would've been smart and the better thing to do. And I don't care what anyone says Yoda and the lightsaber was STUPID! Yoda's a Muppet not a computer animated character. It looked horrible, didn't make sense, and it was at that point that I realized that this film had no redeeming qualities to it. But it still brought in the $$$.

Now onto other subjects, such as sequels. There are very few sequels that are good: Godfather 2&3(I don't care what anyone says the 3rd one still got 41/2 stars. Oh darn it didn't get 5. Oh that must mean it sucked); Back to the Future 2&3; and Spiderman 2 just to name a few. They prove that it is possible to make a good sequel. So with that I mind, why do these company's continue to keep pumping out so many of these crappy sequels and so few good ones? $$$CASH$$$. It's all about the Benjamin's isn't it? That's what they think at least. So they bombard us with this crap and call them "ACTION PACKED THRILL RIDES", when in reality they're about as exciting as the merry-go-round at any local fair.(He-yuk!) Has everyone forgotten the phrase "quality over quantity"? And if you think I'm full of it, just watch Jaws 3, Rocky 5, and The Matrix Revolutions. Prove me wrong!

Next on the chopping block, SPINOFFS! To be perfectly honest the only reason I'm talking about spinoffs is so I can have an excuse to badmouth Electra. Now I know I haven't seen it, so call me a hypocrite, but didn't she die in Daredevil? Oh wait that's right she didn't die, because she might have lost a lot of blood but there's still money to be sucked out of her.

Now I'm not saying don't watch sequels, prequels, or spinoffs because there are some that are good. Like I pointed out there are good sequels, I do have a favorite prequel(Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), and spinoffs aren't all bad. All I'm saying is don't expect much going in, especially depending on the franchise(Resident Evil: Apocalypse). And If you are a fan of these "ACTION PACKED THRILL RIDES" I speak of...then may God have mercy on your soul. (just kidding)

So I guess what I 'm saying is that the only reason sequels/prequels/spinoffs get put out is more for money reather than the filmmakers vision. But of course you all knew that already. So then why am I typing this? I dunno....I'm going to make a sandwich...

Youngblood

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, they are cash grabs for the most part. humanity is sinking deeper and deeper into a new low with these un-original blockbusters they are watching. holy hell, read a book, or check out an actual FILM once in awhile.