March 21, 2005

My new thang: Thirteen

I’ve come up with a new way to waste space on the web. I’m gonna throw you folks some movie reviews. Move over Roger Ebert, I’m the new critic in town. (that’s right I said it) I don’t know how often I’ll review something, but hey it’ll be easier than writing essays about immigrants. Am I right? And in the end I’ll rate it using some random webding. So hold onto your hairpieces, cause here we go!

So this weekend I watched the movie Thirteen starring Evan Rachel Wood, Nikki Reed, and Holly Hunter (and she even talks in this one). Fantastic piece of filmmaking that was! What was even more fantastic, I thought was the writing though. I don’t care what anyone says, it seemed very real to me. I was quite happy to discover that Evan Rachel Wood and Holy Hunter were both nominated for a whole pile of awards for their performances (such as Golden Globes, Oscars and a whole bunch of others) and won a few of them (much deserved I say). And the writing and directing also won a few a wards as well, so good on them.

If you haven’t seen it: it’s the story of, Tracy, a girl 13 year old girl who, in the beginning was a nice, normal 13 year old girl who gets good grades and what not, then she starts hanging out with the older cooler girls and things all go down hill from there. She looses all her old friends, starts doing drugs, shoplifting and all those good things as well as breaking apart her once close relationship with her mother. Now you might see this plot as being a normal based-toward-teen-girl-audience, and that’s kind of what I expected, but as I was watching it I started to see things that I had seen happen to other girls, granted they were a little older than 13 at the time but you still get the message. You really get the message that, this once innocent girl’s life, has gone to absolute shit just to be cool.

I think the reason why it was written so well is because Nikki Reed, the writer, wrote it about what her life was like at that age. On top of writing it, she also co-stars in the movie as, Evie, the cool girl whom Tracy forms a bond with. How can she do such a thing you ask? Write the film as well as co-star as a 16 year old girl no less. Your also probably wondering right now what difference does that make? Lots of writers do that. They take personal experience and make it into an epic tale. While that’s true, you should know that she was 16 when the movie came out so all that life experience was quite fresh in her mind still. Pretty amazing I think.

So rent it, download it or whatever. I highly recommend it. I’m giving it
éééé out of 5.

Youngblood

No comments: