March 23, 2005

What would you chose?...

Yesterday I stumbled across an article which pitted Catherine Zeta-Jones against bagels. The article asked the question: what would you rather live without Catherine Zeta-Jones or bagels? So I asked myself a similar question: what would I rather live without, oxygen or Degrassi (in any incarnation take your pick)?

The answer is simple. Oxygen. Duh! Now I know your all shaking your heads, thinking “what a fucking douche”, but hear me out. The way the question stated implies that I could still live without oxygen I just wouldn't have any. I wouldn’t need to breathe oxygen, because I could live without it. If I could live without oxygen I would have no use for it anyway, so why the hell not? And I’d rather die than not have Joey and Caitlin around anymore…wait a minute…Caitlin left the new show…so now I’m stuck with just Joey? DAMMIT!!!

Seriously though, what is everyone’s beef with this show? I don’t get it, how people can bad mouth it and so many of them don’t even give it a chance.(I’m only allowed to do things like that) It’s one of the most critically acclaimed shows ever made (the originals that is). It deals with real issues, unlike pretty much every other teen oriented show. They talk about things that actual people can relate to. Seriously, how many people can relate to Dawson’s Creek or The O.C., and then look at how many people can relate to Degrassi? Yeah, all those crazy rich kids in Orange County, it’s so like our lives. But that Degrassi, oh that’s so fake, who can relate to teen pregnancy or someone’s parents dieing in a car accident? That’s just too far fetched for me.

Sure Degrassi Junior High or Degrassi High had some pretty bad acting. Most of those kids had no prior acting experience though. Now that Degrassi: The Next Generation has been on for a few years now, it still isn’t getting the respect it deserves from so many people that won’t give it a chance. Granted, I was one of those people in the beginning, but I just didn’t like the idea of a new Degrassi (as Kevin Smith put it: why fuck with perfection?). But it has proven itself and I think it’s better acted and (dare I say it) an all around better show than any of its predecessors. I guess it’s just too real for a most people, that’s honestly what I think. I guess most people would rather live in the fantasy world that is Orange County, or get caught up in the drama going on down at Dawson’s Creek than watch quality programming with a more real life, down to earth feel to it.

P.S. I realize the Dawson’s Creek reference is a little outdated, but c’mon work with me here.

Youngblood

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on this. I mean, oxygen doesn't even taste, so who needs it!

Anonymous said...

I used to like Kevin Smith, until he fucked around with Caitlin's head and she decided to leave Joey, and go off and do her own thing.