March 14, 2005

One of these things is just like the other

About a week ago a friend of mine said "I shouldn't have went to film school, I should have went to movie school". I feel the same way quite often. But then I thought about what he said, and what's the diffenece between a film and a movie. Where did this division come from?

I'm sick of hearing people say, "it's more of a film than a movie". They're the same damn thing! By calling it a film are you implying that it's more artsy? Oh you are...well I don't care! Why is it that if something is refered to as a film it's more intellectual, and high brow than a movie? They're the same thing! It's not like we're talking about apples and oranges, it's apples and apples! What makes a film a film, and a movie a movie? They're both shot on film. I could see if one was shot on video maybe. But even music videos are shot on film.

So what I'm saying is that all movies are films and all films are movies. Everything that's shot on film, is a film or a movie. Call them what you will they're the same thing. And if films and movies weren't one in the same then in films there would be no movement, just still shots, because lets not forget what the term movie implies: movement.

So call them whatever you want. Just don't think that there's any difference between movies and films because there isn't. Personally I like the term movies better, because the majority of what people consider "films", I also like to call "boring as shit".

(now lets just hope that any of this rant actually makes sense to someone besides me)

Youngblood

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get it. It's just like people calling their clothes "retro", when really they are just old used clothes.

Anonymous said...

I get it. It's just like people calling their clothes "retro", when really, they are just old used clothes.